I know it is Spring Break and with Spring Break comes a much-needed break. Spring Break also means it is the final stretch of the school year. Typically, this is the most challenging stretch. Spring break gives you a sample of your summer, and you know the finish line is not far. Students are thinking of summer too. As a teacher, this is the time to start reflecting about the school year and decide if you want to continue as a teacher? Before you decide, let me remind you why you are great and why being a teacher is great.
- Impact – As a teacher, you have the future of your students in your hands. Even if you have them for one year, that is one year of their life they cannot get back. You have the potential in that one year to either set them on a path of success or set them on a path where they will be playing catch up. Yes, it is a huge responsibility, but the reward far out weighs the struggle. You can get a student that previously has been turned off from school and has experienced nothing but heartbreak and disappointment, and in just one year, in a matter of 180 days, everything can change. Their life can change, and it can be because you was the teacher.
- Community – As a teacher, you contribute to your community in a meaningful way. You have a chance to improve the quality of your community by improving the lives of the students in your school especially if you teach in an area where you grew up or if you teach in an area where you have connections. One of the most rewarding experiences for me as a teacher was when I was able to teach in the school that I attended. It was my chance to pay it forward and inspire the next generation as someone inspired me during my time at the school.
- Security – Even in uncertain times where it seems that finding a job can be hard, teachers are always needed and will always be needed. There is a shortage of teachers which means teaching jobs are available. Being a teacher, you can move to any city and find a job. You can even move to any place around the world and still teach. Although it seems like every job will be eventually replaced by technology, there will always be a need for teachers. Computers will not replace teachers. Being a teacher can open the doors to many other professions if you do choose to do something different.
- Perks – The perks of being a teacher are actually pretty cool. There aren’t many jobs out there where you can be off from the end of May until the first week in August and still get paid. Teaching is one of those professions. The next is the mini-breaks throughout the year. There is a week break in October, a break in December, and a break at the end of March or first week in April. What is better than that? Sometimes when you are in it, you do not appreciate the time, but believe me, it is incredible.
- THE CHILDREN – When you are a teacher, if you love your students, they will love you ten times harder. The children that you encounter as a teacher make every lousy day better and every hard day easier. The children are the most precious gift, and it is humbling that their parents have entrusted you with their future. Regardless of race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, or GPA (grade point average), the children make teaching the best profession. The looks in their eyes in the classroom when they finally grasp a concept you have been teaching is enough to stop you dead in your tracks. Yes, there are days where they can be a handful, but at the end of the day, they are the greatest. They are the future, and they deserve the very best. The other four reasons are all great reasons why being a teacher is the best, but “The Children” top it off.
Every student deserves a champion. Be that champion. Do and be something great. Be a Teacher!